Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homeless and Jobless

For a couple of weeks all we had in our possession was one carry-on and one personal item each.  I'm always a worst-case scenario type of person.  When we were washing our limited wardrobe at the laundromat the other night, I said to hubby, "What if our clothes catch on fire in the dryer and all we have are the clothes on our backs?"  That kind of happened to me once in Mexico!  I had waffle underwear after that experience!  But, I digress.

It's a strange feeling to send off all your worldly possessions with a bunch of strangers - especially when one of them has a confederate flag tattooed on the back of his shaven head and a swastika on his forearm.  We also shipped our car.  The eagle-eyed gal who checked us in found dents we never knew we had. 

For two weeks we visited family in Idaho and Utah, taking one-way flights and renting cars along the way.  During those two weeks, we were homeless - couldn't legally claim an address.  That was a strange feeling to be off of almost everybody's radar - kind of nice and eerie at the same time.

I should clarify that I'm the only one who's jobless, by choice.  I feel fortunate that I have some time to reinvent myself.  I want to explore my artistic side.  Hubby will start his new job at Vanderbilt University in a couple of weeks.

We're happy to report that all of our stuff is here with us in Nashville now.  We got our car on Saturday and the rest of our stuff arrived yesterday.  Phew!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad all your stuff got there safely. I can't wait to see what your artistic side comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited!!!!1 Your blow is awesome. I can't wait to read about all of your new adventures in Nashville! I'm so jealous -- there has to be a wealth of talent there . . .craftsmen who can teach you all sorts of stuff. Oh the possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I guess I better edit my comments before I post them. I meant BLOG, not BLOW!!

    ReplyDelete