Sunday, August 5, 2012

King's Tavern

After spending three days on the Natchez Trace Parkway, we ended up in Natchez, Mississippi.  We were really excited to eat at a place recommended by our guide.  On page 37 he writes:
In Natchez you can eat at the King's Tavern, built prior to 1789 and purported to be 'the oldest building in the Natchez Territory.' In the early Trace heydays this was the end of the journey for post riders.  The combination tavern and post office was a local hangout for Natchez residents and weary travelers until 1820.
The building is steeped in history, mystery, and good stories.  A jeweled Spanish dagger came to light when a chimney collapsed in early 1900:  three skeletons were unearthed from the ground floor in 1930: and reports of ghosts are numerous.


Image how disappointed we were to discover that King's Tavern was closed, as in boarded up.  It seems that the difficult economic times finally did them in, just a few months before our arrival.  I hope some philanthropic person or group can snatch up the building and restore it to its former glory.  In the meantime, the ghosts will have the place to themselves. 


Here's what we missed out on.  I'm especially sad to have not tasted the 'World Famous' Natchez Pecan Pie!  In my next post I'll tell you where we did end up eating.

Oh, and if you're interested, this seems to be a more accurate history on King's Tavern.  And, I just discovered a novel set in Natchez, MS.  I wonder if my library has it on CD!?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading about this trip. So much history in such a beautiful, but almost foreign looking, place. I am sad about the Tavern, too. I always hate to see buildings with such colorful stories abandoned like that. :(

    ReplyDelete