Friday, April 20, 2012

Crane Flies

They're ba-ack, and they are still gross!  A few crane flies snuck into our kitchen the other night.  Howard stopped me as I headed for the dust buster.  At some point in our marriage he became an insect advocate - he thinks we need to rescue them and put them outside.  I think if they're in my house, they deserve to die by vacuum cleaner or dust buster.  Although, sometimes that doesn't work very well.

Anyway, Howard searched the kitchen for a bug-catching tool and came up with a clear clamshell that had once housed some yummy cinnamon rolls.  The clamshell, that looked something like this, converted to the jaws of life for the crane flies.  My job was to scout out the intruders and Howard's job was to sneak up on them and 'gobble' them up with the clamshell. 

The trickiest part was getting them outside after we captured them.  Since it was dark outside and they seemed to be attracted to light, we had to turn off the kitchen lights each time we released one to 'the wild'.  We repeated this little ritual about five times until the house was insect free.

You know, I really need to get a curtain on that window above the kitchen sink.  I'm pretty sure we provided some comical evening entertainment for the neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment