Saturday, August 20, 2011

Holes

Have you ever read the book Holes by Louis Sachar?  It's such a clever book full of unexpected twists and turns.  I loved it so much that I read it in Spanish too.  But, I digress.

Lately I've been digging a lot of holes in the backyard.  I've been waiting to do this for YEARS!  It all started when I taught 3rd grade in National City, California.  Friends, parents and students helped me dig a garden in the grass in front of my classroom - with permission of course.  

My students and I learned lots of things about gardening and composting and recycling.  I immediately became obsessed with recycling, but had to wait a looooong time to have my own yard where I could garden and bury biodegradable stuff.


This is a pile of some of the many 'treasures' that the builders buried in the backyard instead of hauling them away.


Making fruit salad with pineapple and watermelon always creates a huge amount of compost.


I'm pretty sure that the earthworms loved this meal!

2 comments:

  1. I love HOLES, read and re-read the book many times. Watched the movie, tried to make my own "Sploosh"... looks like you got a head start with your fruit salad...
    Even went to the West Utah desert to dig for Geodes later the day we watched the movie. My kids loved digging their own holes, even found a few lizards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I'm still finding buried treasure left over from the builders, and it's been what, 13 years???

    Luv composting. So much fun. We hardly had any garbage when we did that. I tried it here, but with the slope, we got attacked by coyote, rats, raccoons, and gophers. Bummer.

    Next time, remind me not to buy a house with a slope.

    P.S. I love the book Holes. Super good movie too.

    ReplyDelete