Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homecoming

It's been many decades since I've experienced high school homecoming festivities.  We tried to learn some Spanish amidst Hat Day, Holiday Day, Dynamic Duo Day, but I finally had to succumb to the chaos on Friday, Parade Day.  We just 'chilled' in 1st and 2nd period.  And after attendance in 3rd period, who knows where everyone really went.  Most of us loaded up on buses for a quick trip to downtown Franklin for the homecoming parade.


The JROTC kicked off the parade.  I remember my astonishment at seeing all the JROTC groups when I stumbled upon the Veteran's Day Parade a few years ago.


Then the band came by.  When I enter the high school each morning, this kid is always leaning against the wall with drumsticks in motion.  The drummers stopped right in front of me and I couldn't believe the energy coming off those drums.  The rhythm was seriously messing with my heartbeat.


One of those tuba players is in my 7th period class.  He always tells me he's a bad tuba player.  When I look at him with doubting expressions, his fellow band members assure me that it's true.


The physics teacher has an after-school robotics class.  This robot zipped around the parade and stole the show at times.


Each class worked all week on a float.  I'm not sure who did this one or why Batman was the theme.


I love this float and their disclaimer sign.


When I was in high school, I joined the swim team one year.  It was very strange behavior for me.  I was probably the slowest swimmer on the team but was so proud of myself for surviving the rigorous workouts and hanging in there.  So, swimmers have a special place in my heart.


This was my favorite float, the Junior Float.  It's pretty awesome for high school, right?


I like this picture even though you can't see anyone's faces.


What's a homecoming parade without cheerleaders...


and a football team?  It was a fun and exciting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment