Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Popcorn x 3

Spring here is CRAZY!  Today it reminded me of this song - in more ways than one.  By the way, these photos were taken about 4-5 hours apart.


Last year I went crazy over these trees.  I learned from the guy at the nursery that the "trees with little purple flowers all over the branches" are Red Buds.  I have anxiously awaited their arrival this year.


Last year I didn't notice the funky mini bouquets on their trunks.  They remind me of sea urchins.


I also found out from the guy at the nursery that "those trees with all the pink tulip-looking flowers" are Black Tulip Magnolias.


He warned me against having one in my yard because the blooms don't last very long and they're a mess to clean up.  He told me they're called 'black' because a frost will turn the flowers black.  I'm still not sure if all the cons out-weigh the pros.  They are gorgeous!

I thought this was going to be my post for the day until I heard weird sounds on my garage door this afternoon and thought someone was trying to break in.  I looked out the window and what did I see?  Hail!


I'm so disappointed that I didn't have a movie camera.  There were all kinds of little hail balls dancing on our lawn.  It looked like popcorn popping.


It looks like we have diamonds in our bushes!  By the way, we're thinking about planting a Red Bud in the middle there.


Here's the hail collection on the deck.  So, I can't figure out why I craved and 'just had to have' popcorn tonight.  Can you?

3 comments:

  1. :) I have no idea what made you think of popcorn either. Those flowering trees are gorgeous! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a black tulip magnolia in my yard and i love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous, aren't they? What's the clean-up like?

      Delete