Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cicadas (Part 2)

I have a really bad memory for details, but the conversation (that took place about an hour ago!) went something like this:

Me:  Are these cicadas driving you crazy?
Steve (our neighbor who owns a lawn care business):  Oh man, when I use the leaf blower, they don't bother me.  But when I use the weed eater, they're all over me.  (Makes swatting motions.)
Me:  I guess you have to make sure you keep your mouth closed.
Steve:  Yah, they land on your mouth, everywhere.  (Makes more swatting motions.)  Yesterday I got home and found one in my pocket.  Then I took off my shirt and found three more.
Me:  Were they alive!?!  (Or, did I ask if they were dead?  See, I told you I have a bad memory!)
Steve:  Two of them were.
Me:  Oooo, gross!  

It turns out that the sound of lawnmowers and weed eaters sound a lot like the cicada's mating call.  Click here for a brief news article and video.

By the way, in response to yesterday's post, Mr. T (aka Tomoo) says that we should look at this (infestation) as a positive - free food.  He suggested these recipes.  He also mentioned that when he was a kid at scout camp, he and his friends used a razor blade to make a small cicada guillotine.  You gotta love the things that boys come up with!

2 comments:

  1. This is so gross. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just super creepy to have those all over the place? The hum would send me over the edge. Well..... maybe now so much now, cuz I'm pretty hard of hearing. :)

    Hey, mark your calendar for Feb. 10-11th. You have to come out to San Diego! I'm doing something super cool that you will love. A creative women's conference!!!

    ReplyDelete